Leupold Mark AR 3-9X40 Mil Dot
Leupold’s latest venture in compact rifle scopes is directed at the boom in AR15 sales. The Mark AR series are designed specifically for the AR15 platform. Weighing in at only 12.5 ounces this 3-9×40 barely adds to lightweight nature of the AR. For this test we mounted it on a Stag model 3 with an Armalite one piece base.
This particular scope the model 67160 is supplied with Leupold’s Mil Dot reticle. All Mark AR scope include a BDC elevation knob for the 5.56/.223 round making range adjustments a snap in the field. After zeroing in the knobs can be reset to zero and provide positive tactile clicks. Once in the field you can use the mil dot reticle to get your range and dial in your shot quickly by spinning the knob to the correct range. The day of the test was cloudy and rainy and at 9am not the perfect shooting day. Even with the adverse conditions we had no problem finding our target due to the excellent light transmission. Leupold’s Multicoat 4® lens system transmits a bright clear picture with no edge distortion or coloring and plenty of eye relief. We were easily able to find our hits without the use of a spotting scope at 100 yards. We put about 100 rounds through the the gun and the scope never complained. It tracked on the money, returned to zero and was a pleasure to use. The Mark AR series is tested to the same performance standards as Leupold® Mark 4® optics so they should give a lifetime of trouble free service. Based on a street price under $400 we think this scope hits the mark.
* The ½-MOA T2 elevation adjustment includes a pre-engraved bullet drop compensation (BDC) dial to match the ballistics of most 55 grain .223 Remington/5.56mm NATO loads.
* If you have a specific load you’d like to have matched, the Leupold Custom Shop can create additional dials for a nominal fee.
* The Multicoat 4® lens system delivers superior brightness, clarity, and optimal contrast, even in low light.
* Available with MilDot reticle.
* Lockable, fast-focus eyepiece keeps your focus set.
* The power selector features aggressive knurling for easy adjustment, even with gloves.
* The tactile power indicator identifies your magnification with a touch.
* Durable matte black finish.
* Custom Shop serviceable – customize your Mark AR.
* Tested to the same performance standards as Leupold® Mark 4® optics.
* Rugged and absolutely waterproof in all conditions.
* Length (A) 12.4 in
* Tube Length (B) 5.6 in
* (C) 2.3 in
* (D) 2.2 in
* Eyepiece Length (E) 3.5 in
* Objective Diameter (G) 1.8 in
* Eyepiece Diameter (H) 1.6 in
* Tube Diameter (I) 1.0 in
* Actual Magnification 8.6 (3.3)
* FOV @ 100 yds (ft) 14.0 (32.3)
* FOV @ 100 m (m) 4.7 (10.8)
* Eye Relief (in) 3.7 (4.7)
* Eye Relief (mm) 94 (119)
* Obj. Clear Aperture 1.6 in / 41 mm
* Weight 12.5 oz / 354 g
* Elevation Adj. Range (MOA) 56
* Windage Adj. Range (MOA) 56